We all know that Stainless Steel is an alloy of iron. It contains more than 10% of chromium. It is said to be rust free and can stay stain free too. This makes it the most used metal in the kitchens. Sometimes, this metal may look dull and show finger prints over it. Stainless steel is said to be a hard metal and hence is used to make various utensils, sinks, counter tops and tableware. While these things are being made, a little of chromium is used to form a hard coating over the metal that acts as a protective layer on it. It this layer gets damaged or removed, the stainless steel may begin rusting like any other steel.
Usage of the following things will help in better maintenance of stainless steel articles.
- Olive oil: Olive oil when used to clean a stainless steel sink, will help remove streaks. Simply rubbing the oil over the sink may also help.
- Vinegar: Undiluted vinegar on a piece of cloth will help clean and polish stainless steel. It can also be used to remove heat stains from stainless steel cutlery.
- Stainless Steel Cleaner: A cleaner that is meant for cleaning stainless steel can be of great help. This will help clean the steel in a better way and will also help maintain the protective layer on it.
Maintaining various stainless steel articles:
- Flatware: Stainless steel flatware should be washed either by hand or in a dishwasher. If the flatware would not be washed soon, it is important to rinse off all the acidic or salty food on it.
- Utensils: Do not let pans boil dry and avoid heating an empty pan over the burner. Do not let food stick on to the steel as it becomes difficult for cleaning. Do not use harsh abrasives or steel wool over the metal. Tough stains can be removed using mild abrasives that remove stains but do not harm the metal.
- Sinks: Perforated rubber or Plastic mats will help reduce scratches caused by pans or tableware. Sinks can be washed and polished using a good stainless steel cleaning solution that is easily available in the market or online.
Maintaining stainless steel articles can prove to be a tough job. But, if not maintained, it will spoil the look of the metal and will reduce its usage. Thus an appropriate methods of cleaning and keeping if free from stains and scratches is necessary.
- Basic Methods to Keep Your Stainless Steel Clean (rustfreemetal.wordpress.com)
- Maintaining and Cleaning of a Stainless Steel Barbecue Grill (rustfreemetal.wordpress.com)